Been hibernating this winter? The rain clouds outside might be delivering a loss of motivation but the end-of-winter reset button is ready to be hit! Swap the plateau for these fives pilates-inspired moves that will heat up your core and reignite your self-motivation!
Repeat each move one after the other without rest. Once one set of each move is complete, rest for a minute then repeat for a total of 4 to 5 sets. Work at a moderate to intense pace throughout.
Pilates roll up
Perfect for: Stomach definition and upper ab strength.
- Lay flat on the ground with bent knees a ball rested on your belly button ( a kids ball or soccer ball will do).
- Engage your core and draw your belly button to your spine.
- Exhale as your roll the ball up your legs to the top of your knees.
- Reach as high as you can take a deep breath in at the top and then exhale as you role the ball back down to your belly button.
- Repeat 15 times.
Bridge leg lift
Perfect for: A lower body all-rounder, this exercise works your hamstrings, quads, and glutes, with an added bonus of toning the abs too.
- Lay flat on your back with bent knees and hip width apart.
- Take a deep breath in draw your belly button into your spine and tuck your pelvis under, squeeze your glutes and drive your hips and pubic bone up to the ceiling into a nice bridge shape. (Be careful not to arch your back but instead squeeze and tuck you bottom under).
- Now squeeze your right glute and lift your left leg straight up into the air.
- Lower and repeat on the other side all the while keeping your hips straight and stable.
- Add 5 pulses on each side if you need to make it harder.
- Repeat 6-8 on each side.
Perfect for: Working both your inner thighs and core.
- Lie on your back with legs in table top, and toes pointed.
- Place an exercise ball (or a cushion) between your knees and begin to squeeze the knees together. Remember to engage your core and focus on your breathing exhaling as you squeeze.
- After 5 quality squeezes grab the ball and exhale as you extend your legs and reach with the ball to your toes into a crunch.
- Lower back down in the exhale returning the ball to your knees and start squeezing again.
- Repeat x 2 sets of 10.
Perfect for: Core and Hip Stabilization.
- From plank position, bring one knee towards your chest. Keep your back leg straight and front leg bent.
- Jump to switch sides so that your opposite leg is straight and the other is bent.
- Continue to alternate for each rep, keeping your hips square throught.
- Keep your neck in neutral and shoulders away from ears the entire movement.
- Repeat for 30 seconds.
Perfect for: Core activation.
- From a seated position, tip back onto your tailbone, keeping your spine long and neck neutral as you pull your shoulders down and back.
- Lift your heels so your shins are parallel to the floor and extend your arms out towards your knees.
- If you’re feeling strong, lengthen out your legs straight or keep them in table top position if you start to feel it in your lower back.
- Hold the position for 30 seconds.