What is Easter without delicious hot cross buns! This recipe is a healthier take on the traditional version with added fibre and reduced sugar. A gluten free alternative is outlined below.
Makes 10 hot cross buns
- 1 and ¾ cups plain wholemeal flour
- 2 tablespoons rolled oats
- 1/2 cup reduced fat milk of your choice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon dried yeast
- Pinch of Himalayan rock salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean extract
- 1 tablespoon organic maple syrup (or stevia granules)
- 1 free range egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup sultanas
- 80 grams dark chocolate for decorating with crosses (optional)
Egg wash (optional)
- 1 free range egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Sift the wholemeal flour into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the oats, cinnamon, yeast and salt and combine well.
- Place the milk, maple syrup and vanilla in a small saucepan and heat until slightly warm, do not bring to the boil.
- Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture and combine gently.
- Add the whisked egg and oil and stir until well combined and smooth.
- Add the sultanas to the dough and mix through until the sultanas are evenly distributed throughout the dough.
- Cover the bowl with cling wrap and place the bowl in a warm place (near a window works well) for one hour. The dough should have nearly doubled in size.
- Kneed the expanded dough for a couple of minutes then shape into 10 buns.
- Place the buns on a baking paper lined tray and cover loosely with glad wrap. Leave to rise for a further 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
- Lightly whisk together the egg wash ingredients and then brush over the top of each hot cross bun prior to baking.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the buns are lightly browned.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Once cool, melt the dark chocolate in a bowl over boiling water (not allowing the bottom of the bowl to touch the water) and immediately add to a piping bag. Pipe a cross on the top of each hot cross bun.
- Enjoy warm with a thin spread of butter or honey!
Dark Chocolate Hot Cross Buns (For the Chocolate Addict)
To make a delicious dark chocolate batch of hot cross buns, replace the sultanas with 2/3 cup of dark chocolate (at least 70%), roughly chopped into small pieces. The chocolate should be added to the dough in place of the sultanas in step 6.
For a gluten free version, replace the wholemeal flour and oats with almond meal, and the yeast with one teaspoon of baking powder.